Devon Bat Group holds over 13,000 records of bats in Devon and provide a records search service for use within ecological appraisals.
Our standard searches are 2km and 4km from a central six-digit OS grid reference, with a turnaround time of ten days from receipt of the request. A 2km search costs £25 and a 4km search costs £50.
We are able to supply records for a wider search area and/or from a boundary. If you require this service please contact us for a quote. Records and quotes can be requested by emailing
The following terms and conditions apply to all data searches:
1. Data may only be used in conjunction with a single study, and is not to be shared with third
parties other than the client and/or consultees.
2. Records must not be added to the internet or made available in the public sphere. Where
reference is made to record locations within reports, these should be made in general terms only (e.g. “maternity roost in the area of Totnes”, rather than “maternity roost at River Valley Farm.”
3. Data is intended for use in a short-term study or research. Data is not intended for storage by the recipient for future use, and must not be retained in databases or Geographic Information Systems beyond completion of this study.
4. Permission to use data is given for a period of 18 months from approval. Permission is required from Devon Bat Group to extend this period.
5. Payment must be made within 28 days of the receipt of the invoice.
Please note that we are unable to provide planning advice. If you are concerned that bats or their roosts are going to be impacted by development you should contact your local planning authority. Further information about the planning process can be found on the BCT information page on bats and planning.